Uber Accident Lawyer
We offer free consultations and case reviews. If you have been in an accident and would like a lawyer to review your case, simply call or email us for a free consultation.
As an accident law firm, we often get asked questions regarding an Uber accident or Lyft accident. Examples of such questions include:
Can I sue Uber for an accident?
Can I sue an Uber driver?
Who insures Uber?
Can I sue Lyft for an accident?
What about an accident with an Uber driver?
Are passengers insured with Uber?
What are passenger rights when it comes to Uber and Lyft accidents?
A Lyft car crashed into me. Can I sue Lyft? Which lawyers can sue Lyft?
I was injured in an Uber accident. What are my rights?
I was in an accident with Lyft as a passenger. What are my rights?
Are passengers insured with Uber?
What company insures Uber? What company insures Lyft?
Uber and Lyft are rideshare programs that let users with smart phones order a personal taxi to pick them up and drop them off at the location of their choosing at any time of the day. In recent times, these companies have experienced an exponential growth in major cities in California (for example, Los Angeles and San Diego) due to various reasons, perhaps the most important factor being the convenience they provide to passengers. When an Uber passenger or Lyft passenger gets into the ride sharing car, they put their lives in the hands of the driver. Therefore, it is important for the drivers to be careful. If an accident does occur, the negligent parties would be responsible to compensate you for your injuries and any other damages that you suffer. Similarly, if you were outside the Uber car (for example, you were driving your own car or you were a pedestrian walking on the street), and an Uber car struck you, you would be entitled to collect damages from the negligent parties that caused you injuries. Just like any other car on the road, Uber and Lyft cars are required to carry insurance. One of the problems that many people face after an accident is low insurance limits. Fortunately, Uber and other similar rideshare programs carry commercial policies which have high limits, often exceeding one million dollars. This means if your car was damaged or you were injured due to the negligence of an Uber, Uberx, or Lyft driver, you have a high chance of recovering for your damages once you file a lawsuit through our firm.
Uber Accident Liability Companies that are in the business of transporting passengers, like Uber and Lyft, have a duty to exercise the greatest degree of care in transporting their passengers. This means they must take precautionary measures to protect the safety of their passengers to the greatest reasonable degree. They must maintain their vehicles in reasonably safe conditions, and ensure that their operators have the proper skills and training to operate the vehicles. Unfortunately, we have seen many instances of Uber cars getting into accidents due to negligence. Many times, victims of such accidents will be confused and frustrated when they hear that the other party is not taking complete responsibility. That's why our law firm has made it a mission to protect the rights of victims of such accidents, and to obtain the maximum amount of recovery in each and every case. Our lawyers will fully study your case and sue Uber and any other responsible parties because we believe you deserve the best legal representation.
Can I sue Uber for accident, as an Uber driver?
- The short answer is yes, but an analysis will have to be performed on your specific circumstances to find the best way to sue Uber for the accident.
- If you are Uber driver and you were not logged into the app at the time of the accident, you are not covered by Uber and you cannot sue Uber for the accident. Your own insurance may or may not cover you, depending on its specific terms.
- If you were logged in and waiting for a request, your own insurance policy would kick in first, and if your damages exceed your coverage, only then would Uber insurance cover you.
- If you were en route to pick up passengers, or if you were driving passengers at the time of the accident, you are covered by Uber, but you may have to file a claim with the other car's insurance policy first and exhaust that before Uber's insurance will kick in. It depends on who was at fault.
- Uber Uninsured Motorists Coverage and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- In summary, if you were not at fault, you should have no problem getting compensated, thanks to Uber's commercial policy.
Can I sue Uber for an accident as a passenger?
- The short answer is yes. All passengers are covered by Uber's one million dollar liability coverage. However, Uber and Lyft claim that they are not liable for their driver's misconduct. Therefore, if the Uber driver caused the accident, you will need an aggressive lawyer to fight for you.
- An Uber accident lawsuit for a passenger does have one positive aspect, and that's in regards to liability. If you were inside the Uber car as a passenger, you are considered an innocent party. Liability is not relevant to you. The accident could be the Uber driver's fault, or it could be the other driver's fault. The one million dollar policy would cover your injuries in either scenario.
- However, you may have to file a claim with the negligent party's insurance first and exhaust that before you could access Uber's policy.
Can I sue Lyft for accident?
- Yes, but again, our lawyers will have to perform an analysis on your case.
- It will depend on who was at fault, how much each party was at fault, and what insurance coverage each party has.
- If you are suing as a Lyft driver, you may have to access your own insurance first. If you are suing an a Lyft passenger, you are considered an innocent party and someone has to cover you.
- Our attorneys will perform a thorough investigation of your case and find the best way to sue Lyft to cover the most amount of money for your injuries.
Are passengers insured with Uber?
- Yes, all passengers are covered by Uber's one million dollar liability coverage, and this is true regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
- The reason is that as a passenger, you were an innocent party and you were not in any way at fault.
- Therefore, whether the Uber driver was at fault of the other party who crashed into the driver was at fault is mostly irrelevant to you as an Uber passenger.
- If you were a third party involved in an accident (for example: you were driving your own personal car and an Uber or Lyft car hit you) you would be covered by the at-fault party's insurance coverage first, and also Uber's coverage, but only if the car was in fact being used for Uber purposes. If the app was off and the driver was running personal errands, then you would not be covered by Uber's insurance.
Victim Compensation If you have been involved in an Uber or Uberx accident, we can sue Uber to recover for your damages. Generally speaking, victims of accidents can recover for the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses including hospital and therapy bills
- Property damage
- Loss of income
- Loss of future earning capacity in case of a disability
- Pain and suffering and emotional trauma
Experienced Attorneys Available Our Uber accident attorneys have been practicing in the field of traffic accidents for a long time, and they have helped hundreds of victims of accidents obtain the maximum recovery for their damages. As you probably know, insurance companies do not have an interest in paying you. These companies employ hundreds of employees who know the law to significantly reduce or eliminate the value of your claim. That's why you need an Uber accident lawyer by your side, a lawyer who is familiar with personal injury law. Our accident lawyers are fully familiar with the process of getting the maximum compensation for your case. In addition to being knowledgeable, our attorneys are also compassionate, and they will treat you like family. We get to know every one of our clients on a personal basis, and the attorney assigned to your case will provide their personal cell phone number so you can call them any time of the day to get an update regarding your case. If you are looking for an Uber accident lawyer, you have found the best law firm to review your case. We offer free consultations, and we work on a contingency basis, which means we never charge upfront fees. If you are in Los Angeles, you can meet with your lawyer at our law firm which is located in Los Angeles. If you are outside Los Angeles, then we can travel to you to discuss your legal options. You can also call us at any time at the number appearing on the top of this page. When you call our office, an actual attorney will respond to your inquiry right away.
What to do after an Uber accident or Lyft accident
We recommend that anyone who has been involved in an Uber accident to take the following steps. But we understand that when you are in an accident, you are shocked; therefore, you may forget to take some of these steps. If you did not take some of these steps, your case is not necessarily ruined. You can still contact our law offices and we will review your case for free and let you know our legal opinion.
What to do after an Uber accident:
- After an Uber accident, then first thing to do is to contact law enforcement and have them prepare a police report. Make sure your version of the story is included in the report. Having the right version of the story could play a significant role in establishing liability in your personal injury lawsuit.
- If injured, seek medical assistance immediately. In fact, even if you do not feel that you are injured due to lack of pain, you should still seek medical help. A lot of times, you experience numbness after an accident due to the adrenaline rush within your body. Adrenaline causes you to not feel pain, so you feel fine even though you are injured.
- Get the insurance information for all parties involved in the accident.
- Take lots of pictures. Take pictures of the location of the accident, any traffic lights, and any damage to the vehicles. Also, take pictures of any obvious injuries that you have suffered.
- Contact an auto accident auto with a heavy focus on Uber and Lyft accidents to sue Uber or Lyft and get you compensated for your damages.
What not to do after an Uber accident:
- Do not send demand letters to the Uber/Lyft driver or any other parties.
- Do not accept cash or any other payment for your injuries. You do not know the extent of your injuries and you might end up getting a lot less than you deserve.
- Do not sign any waivers or release of liability forms.
- Do not speak with any insurance adjusters who contact you. Insurance adjusters are trained to trick you. Their job is to make sure the insurance company pays as little as possible. If they try to contact you, tell them you have hired an attorney and your attorney will contact them.
- Do not admit fault.
Common Injuries After an Uber or Lyft Accident
- Head injuries. Uber passengers are usually seated in the rear seat, so during an accident their head might hit the back of the front seat where they are sitting. Such impact can cause head injuries, including concussions or brain injury. The symptoms of such injuries can be mild or severe, and they can include changes in personality, general sense of confusion, memory loss, sensitivity to light, ringing in the ears, and loss of consciousness.
- Spinal cord damage, disc herniation, whiplash, paralysis or paraplegia
- Knee damage, including torn ligaments and shattered knee caps
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Shoulder injuries, including torn rotator cuff
- Cracked ribs
- Facial injuries, including a broken nose, facial paralysis, and disfigurements often requiring cosmetic plastic surgery to correct
If you have been in an accident involving Uber or Lyft, it is important that you know your rights. Even if you do not feel injured, you should be examined by a medical professional to find out for sure. Then, contact an attorney who has handled hundreds of Uber and Lyft cases. Our law firm offers free case reviews. Simply call us and we will listen to your story and let you know what is best in your specific situation.
Average Value of an Uber Case - How much is my case worth?
The value of any personal injury lawsuit depends on a few factors, including your injuries, your medical bills, how much time you missed from work, whether you were a driver or passenger in Uber, your prognosis, and availability of punitive damages. As you can tell, all of these are specific to your situation and an attorney must interview you and ask you a few questions to determine how much your case is worth.
Top Causes of Uber Accidents
Tired driving is the number one cause of accidents. Uber drivers are often overworked. Sometimes they drive for hours and hours without sleeping. Fatigue and lack of sleep leads to poor judgment, which leads to accidents.
Speeding is another major cause of accidents. Uber and Lyft drivers are often in a rush to pick up passengers as soon as possible, get to the destination as soon as possible, and pick up the next passengers as soon as possible. The more they pick up, they more money they make so they have an incentive to rush from place to place. Obviously, speeding leads to accidents.
Failure to maintain the vehicle can also cause accidents. When the braking system fails or a tire blows out in the freeway, that could be catastrophic.
Surprisingly, running red lights and stop signs is a major incident that occurs with Uber and Lyft drivers. One would think because the driver has passengers on board, he or she would be more careful. Unfortunately, we have seen many cases of the drivers running red lights, and crashing into other vehicles.
Free Cosultation and Zero Fee Guarantee We can tell you right away if you have a legitimate case. We offer a zero fee guarantee. The consultation is provided free of charge, and we do not charge any upfront fees to litigate cases. If we take your case, you will pay nothing unless and until we recover money for you. If we don't win, then you don't pay.
Uber Accident Lawyer Los Angeles
Our main offices are located in Los Angeles. Our attorneys will travel to any location in California to meet with you regarding your case. Call us now for a free consultation.
Can You Sue Uber or Lyft for Accident - Here we provide some information regarding who is responsible when someone gets injured in a ridesharing accident.
Steps to Take - What to Do After Uber Accident - Here we provide some information regarding what you need to do to protect yourself after an Uber or Lyft accident.
Average Value of Uber or Lyft Case - Here we provide information regarding the average settlement value of a typical Uber or Lyft case and what factors are considered to determine the value of an Uber case.