Wrongful Death Lawyer in Los Angeles
A wrongful death attorney is needed when someone dies due to the negligence or misconduct of another party. In such cases, the family members, heirs and other beneficiaries of the deceased can file a lawsuit against the at-fault parties in a wrongful death action.
Losing a loved one is tough. There is probably no experience worse than losing a family member. We understand the emotional pain and suffering. We understand the grief, the sadness, the anger, and the regret. At times, family members of the deceased will feel violated; they will feel the death was unjust and unfair. But not only do the family members have to cope with the emotional trauma of losing someone dear to them, they also have to deal with the economic impact: the loss of income, loss of support, medical costs, and costs related to the death. Our attorneys can file lawsuits against the responsible parties and help recover for all your damages.
If you are looking for highly competent and experienced wrongful death lawyers to represent you, you have found the right law firm. With years of experience in the field of personal injury and a high success rate, we know what it takes to win your case. We have obtained millions of dollars for our clients, and we will work tirelessly to hold the negligent parties responsible for their actions. We have the expertise, resources, and experience necessary to litigate complex cases, and to obtain the maximum amount that your case deserves.
Zero Fee Guarantee Our law firm works on a contingency basis with no upfront fees. Zero fees unless and until we win. This means if we take your case, you will have no out of pocket expenses. We will work on your case and collect our fees if and when we get you money. If we take a case and we do not get you money, then you will owe us nothing. That's how confident we are in our skills as wrongful death attorneys.
What Makes Us Different You have many choices when it comes to choosing a wrongful death attorney. We are confident that we are your best choice because we know this field inside and out.
- Our attorneys have years of experience litigating cases that have resulted in death or extreme and permanent disability for the victims.
- Our attorneys understand the complicated legal statutes surrounding all of personal injury law in California.
- There are zero upfront costs. When you retain our services, you will never have to pay us anything upfront. We get paid when you do. If we do not get you money, then you do not have to pay us.
- We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, even on holidays.
- We treat you like a person, with the respect that you deserve. A lot of other firms are mills. They will take thousands of cases a month, get a quick settlement from the insurance company for each case, and move on to the next case. We are very selective about the cases we take, but we do an excellent job with the cases that we do take.
- We do not treat you like a number. When you call us to get an update regarding your case, we will actually know who you are.
- Not only we will become your attorneys, we will also become your friends. You will think of us like we are a close friend.
What Is Wrongful Death? Wrongful death is a death that occurs due to the negligence or misconduct of another individual or entity. Some examples of wrongful death are:
- A pharmaceuticals company places a dangerous medication in the market, causing someone to die.
- An auto maker does not take enough safety precautions in the making of its product, causing someone to die in an accident.
- An individual who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs drives and causes a fatal car crash in a DUI accident.
- A product (any product, could be a detergent, a toy, exercise equipment, whatever the product happens to be) is introduced to the market and the product is in some way flawed, and causes someone to die.
- A medical doctor performs a medical procedure in a careless manner, causing the patient to die.
- A customer at a store spills water on the floor. The store is negligent in cleaning up the water. Another customer slips and falls, and dies due to medical complications.
In all cases, a wrongful death claim can be brought against the at-fault parties, and their insurance companies if they have one. Our attorneys are always ready to review your case and bring a lawsuit against anyone that was in some way at fault for a wrongful death that occurred.
Elements of a Wrongful Death Claim A wrongful death lawsuit in Los Angeles and any other part of California will be governed by statute. While the elements differ from state to state, these are generally the elements of a wrongful death lawsuit:
- The death was caused by the defendant
- The defendant was negligent, reckless, or strictly liable
- The decedent has beneficiaries. This could be immediate family members, a surviving spouse, children, or other dependents.
- There are monetary damages. In other words, some kind of financial loss has occurred or is expected to occur due to the death. Please note that in addition to economic damages, non-economic damages could also apply. For instance, loss of companionship and the emotional pain that the family members had to suffer will be considered by the jury to come to a final amount for the damages. We often hire experts to put a number to the non-economic losses.
Time Is Running Out In any personal injury case in California, there will be statute of limitations. The statute of limitations (SOL) is a certain amount of time that the law gives you to file your lawsuit after suffering an injury. In other words, it is a deadline by which you have to file your lawsuit after the claim initially arises. After the SOL passes, you are permanently barred from filing a lawsuit. For example, in California, the deadline to file a lawsuit for a wrongful death is typically two years after the death. For medical malpractice cases, it is only one year; and for cases against a state agency, it is only 6 months. Since it takes a long time to gather all the evidence, do depositions, interview witneses, and perform investigations, time is of the essence and you want to get started ASAP. In addition to the above, witnesses may disappear or forget what happened, and key evidence may be lost. That's why we highly recommend that you speak with an attorney right away. Our law firm does not charge any fees for consultations. All of our consultations are provided by an actual licensed attorney (and not a paralegal or legal assistant) and the consultations are provided free of charge to you, with no obligation.
The lawyers for the opposing side are already working to weaken any potential case that you may have. Please call a personal injury attorney who specializes in wrongful death cases to find out if you have a legitimate case.
Grief Counseling While getting money damages can bring a sense of justice and closure, many times people still experience troubling emotions years after their lawsuit is over. Here in Los Angeles there are various organizations that specialize in grief counseling. We will often refer our clients to these grief counseling services.
How to Contact Us If you believe you have a case and would like to speak with us, please call or email us. We are always available, including weekends and holidays. If you are in LA, you can visit our LA offices during business hours. Our attorneys can also travel to you no matter where in California you are located. Whether you are in Los Angeles or Orange Country or anywhere else in the State of California, you can contact us now and an attorney will speak with you free of charge.